It's-a me!
My life has been crazy lately. Very, very crazy.
Lets see... when did I last post? WOW.
okay, a whole lot has happened since then.
Its been, what, a little over a month? Yeah... thats sounds right.
Alright.
Tonight is opening night for the show that has been eating my life, Of Thee I Sing. It is a PULITZER PRIZE winning play about a man who is running for president. Its a spoof on musicals and the absurdity of our electoral process. It is set in the 1930's and the story goes like this:
John P. Wintergreen is running for president for a political party that is never defined (not for lack of trying, the candidate for vice president asks and the committee gives a run around answer). The committee admits that their party is not well liked so they must come up with a gimmick to make the American voters like them. They come up with the idea of love as a running platform. The committee holds a nation wide beauty pageant to choose the most beautiful woman in America and choose a woman named Diana Deveraux. While the committee is choosing a woman off stage, Wintergreen is introduced to a secretary of his named Mary Turner who can make corn muffins (his very favorite food) without corn and, of course, instantly falls in love with her. The committee comes back, telling Wintergreen he must marry Diana. She is "jilted" and runs off, crying. Through a series of twists and turns, including a court scene where Diana almost gets John impeached, the good guys win and Diana must marry the vice president.
Its really an awful show. How it won a Pulitzer, I'm not quite sure.
But, in the quandary of these past few weeks, I've gone from being uninvolved in the show outside of creating a costume for costume construction to being on wardrobe crew to being wardrobe head. I was assigned the position of wardrobe head one week ago. Generally, when one is a wardrobe head, they would begin working on paperwork and crew assignments weeks prior to training week and would have little work to do for that week... the girl who was wardrobe head before I took over did not do anything for the position. She, in fact, had a wardrobe meeting and was incredibly unprepared for that as well. As a friend, or perhaps in a short burst of masochism, I volunteered to take over for her as she had some pretty obvious personal problems getting in her way of being an effective wardrobe head.
It was a mistake, and this process has taught me to stop bailing people out. People in theatre seem to be very thankless. One of my professors today said "What I love most about Theatre is the commrodery that comes with it". I'm beginning to disagree. When I told the designer today that I was exhausted she looked me right in my red eyes (I cried for about two hours last night and got about three hours of sleep) and said "you asked for this, remember?"
I really had to resist the urge to yell at her. I thought, how dare you tell me that I asked for this. How dare you scoff at my exhaustion when I am bailing you out. The girl who was wardrobe head would NOT have been able to do it and you would have been out on your ass.
At this point, I'm not quite sure what to do. I obviously have to discuss it with her, but I have to let it sit on the back burner for a while, since I have a research paper I've GOT to do. I have to make it through this week to next Monday in order to be sane enough to talk to her about this without breaking down during our discussion. Its a hard situation.
Anyhow, thats the big stressor in my life right now. I'm working through it. Also, thats all for now, I'm mostly just procrastinating.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
The horrible stress, unrealistic expectations,and humanity-crushing self-importance of theatre production are the reasons I stopped participating after high school.
Post a Comment